There are many reasons why you may choose to do your own catering for a special event, from budgetary concerns to dietary needs to a preference for favorite homemade dishes. No matter what may be on the menu, however, renting the proper supplies can be a tremendous help to create a delicious and memorable meal.
Why Rent Instead of Buy?
If you are doing your own catering, you may already have a good collection of serving dishes, buffet pieces, table linens, dishes, and cutlery, so why should you consider renting instead of using your own supplies? There are many benefits to renting supplies, and doing so can give your event a coordinated, elegant look while still showcasing your homemade foods and treats.
- Coordination – If you rent supplies, you can choose patterns, shapes, and styles that will all coordinate well instead of relying on a potentially mismatched collection you have gathered over the years for different events.
- More Design Options – Rental companies offer a variety of designs and styles available for rent, including different colors and patterns. This allows you to choose exactly the theme or motif that will match your event the best.
- Ample Supply – There is no worry about running out of dishes, not having enough trays, or missing a few pieces of silverware if you rent supplies. By renting, you can be sure you have enough equipment for your event, no matter how many people you will be serving.
- Less Expensive – If your personal supplies aren’t quite adequate for your event, you may end up spending a great deal of money to purchase extra pieces to use one time. By renting, those costs are much lower and you don’t have to bustle around to find extra equipment.
- No Need for Storage – By renting supplies, you have no need to store them in cabinets, cupboards, tubs, or bins gathering dust or taking up valuable space in your home. Instead, they’re returned to the rental company and out of your way completely.
- No Risk of Breakage – While any dishes can break even when treated carefully, if you’re using rental supplies, you aren’t risking damage to a family heirloom, precious gift, or irreplaceable dish or server.
- Specialty Supplies – Rental companies offer much more than just basic equipment, and it is easy to rent those unique and unexpected pieces that can make your event more fun and memorable.
Supplies You Didn’t Know You Needed to Rent
While it’s easy to calculate the number of plates, glasses, and cutlery settings you may need for an event, there is even more to rent if you plan to do your own catering. Consider these specialty supplies that can give your event a polished, professional look and make the catering much easier.
- Chafing Dishes: Different sizes and styles of lidded serving dishes with heat sources.
- Urns: Large capacity dispensers for hot or cold beverages.
- Platters and Trays: Flat or divided options for serving drinks, appetizers, or desserts.
- Condiment Dishes: Salt and pepper shakers, spice shakers, butter holders, cruets, gravy boats.
- Pitchers: Plain or insulated pitchers for tables, great for tea, coffee, milk, juice, water, etc.
- Serving Utensils: Ladles, spoons, turners, tongs, spreaders, scoops, carving sets, etc.
- Baskets: Perfect for serving bread or fruit on individual tables, or holding condiments.
- Carts and Caddies: Tray stands, shelf carts, linen carts, etc. to make serving and clean up easier.
- Fun Focal Points: Unique rentals to make your event stand out, such as chocolate fountains, popcorn machines, or cotton candy machines.
No matter what your self-catering plans may include, be sure to plan the proper rentals to make your meal easier and more coordinated from the initial preparation to the serving to the cleanup. The right supplies can turn even simple, delicious home cooking into a memorable feast all your guests will enjoy.